I just wanted to give you some additional details on yet another announcement from Google that may affect your website(s).
This past Thursday, Google announced on the Chromium blog that ALL HTTP (non-ssl) sites will be marked as “not secure” beginning in July, 2018.
With Chrome holding 59.32% of the desktop browser market share and 59.13% of the mobile browser market share…this is a big deal!
Combine this announcement with the mobile speed ranking announcement from January and…
July is really shaping up to be a whopper of a month for Google changes!
What do you need to do?
1. Test your website(s) to see what their current load speed is.
2. Secure your website(s) with SSL.
How do I do this?
2. Work with your hosting provider or web developer to request and install a SSL certificate.
Any further recommendations?
1. If you’re on WordPress, check out WP Optimiser and see how it can improve the speed of your site. Also, consider installing a caching plugin and/or putting your site behind Cloudflare.
2. I recommend putting your site behind Cloudflare because you can get a FREE SSL through Cloudflare. Matt Garrett has a great guide on setting up Cloudflare. Check it out here.
If you have any questions, simply leave a comment.